So I've finally managed to locate this "Race Card" that has eluded me for the entirety of my time on this planet. I've been hearing about it my whole life. Apparently, people who look like me enjoy using it whenever they want to make white people feel guilty.
If White Fragility has taught me anything, it's that this card should NEVER be used, lest all the white tears, indignation, and "enough already" eye rolls be unleashed. Surely--in today's post-racial society--this long-denounced card is most certainly a thing of the past, right?
Wrong. Again, White Fragility tells me no. Black people just won't. stop. talking. about. race. To the chagrin of the white people out there who don't see color, we just can't seem to let race go.
The good news for all the people out there who simply don't understand this darn "Race Card" ? I've found it, and it has all of its "amenities" listed right on the front!
Cardholders are "entitled" to the following:
- Legally sanctioned racialized murder
- Systemic racism rooted in historical political criminality
- Educational inequality
- Generational poverty rooted in the American slave trade
- Lower pay for equal work
- Institutionalized racism rooted in historical disenfranchisement
- Near-constant police harassment
- Daily micro-aggressions from strangers and media
- Near-constant attempts to enforce Respectability Politics
- Interrogation about physical appearance and attributes
- Fetishizing of physical appearance and attributes
- Appropriation of physical appearance and attributes
"Race Card" holders are also "entitled" to be harassed, beaten, and even MURDERED at any time and for any reason--with or without cause--at the discretion of any member of the racist white majority.
My message to all those out there who complain about the usage of this so-called "Race Card" :
Why is there more pressure on black people to stop talking about race & racism, than there are calls-to-action to dismantle racist systems, institutions, attitudes, and behaviors?